In order to work in the United States, you must be able to provide proof of your work eligibility. 

You will have a specific document(s), based on your individual status. Note that if you elect to use your passport and I-94 when completing Form I-9, they may need to be used in conjunction with the appropriate document listed below.

As I-94s are electronic, they should be printed from in advance of completing the I-9.

Status Specific Work Authorization Documents

J-1 Exchange Visitors

DS-2019 (note you must be validated in SEVIS prior to starting work)

H-1B Employees

Approved while out of U.S. Approved while in the U.S. Under Portability Provision
I-797A Approval Notice for H-1B status I-797A Approval Notice for H-1B status* I-797C Receipt Notice or I-797A Approval Notice for H-1B status*If your H-1B for Washington University in St. Louis has not yet been approved, also provide a copy of the approval notice from your prior H-1 sponsor

Other Statuses

O-1 TN-1 received t the border TN-1 approved through USCIS
I-797A Approval Notice for O-1B status I-94 and copy of the letter used to apply for TN status I-797A Approval Notice for TN status*

Employment Authorization Cards

In addition to F-1s on OPT, the following statuses are required to have an EAD in order to work:

  • Pending Permanent Resident
  • J-2 Dependent

Note this list is not comprehensive. Always ensure you have appropriate authorization before beginning work.

* If you have not left the country since your status was approved or extended, your I-94 will be at the bottom of your approval notice.

If you travel outside of the U.S. while working, be sure to check your new I-94 information online to make sure the information is accurate.