Before leaving Washington University in St. Louis, you should give appropriate notice to your department. Your department will then notify the Office for International Students and Scholars by completing your appointment in HRMS and sending an employee completion/termination form to the OISS.

If you are staying in the U.S. and porting to another institution

If you are currently working at Washington University and would like to transfer (also called porting) to another institution, you should keep working for Washington University until your new employer has filed an H-1B petition and received notice of receipt from USCIS.

The H-1B is approved for a specific employer, so your new employer must file a new H-1B application in order for you to change employers.

If you are leaving the U.S.

Review the tax information before leaving the U.S., as you are responsible for filing tax forms in April even if you are no longer in the U.S.

Be certain that you leave the U.S. within the time period stated by the regulations of your visa status. If you are not certain of the regulations, please consult with an international scholar advisor at the OISS.

When you leave the U.S., surrender your I-94 to the airline. This is a record that you departed the U.S. in a timely manner. Keep all of your other original visa documents for your records.