To begin a J-1 program at Washington University, the OISS must receive information from the sponsoring department about the sponsorship to be held by the J-1, as well as information about the new visitor.

Once this information has been collected, the OISS will issue a DS-2019 which the exchange visitor will use to obtain a U.S. entry visa. Information about next steps can be found in this section.

Transferring to Washington University

If you are currently a J-1 professor or research scholar and you are interested in transferring to Washington University, you must be invited by a department at the university. Your sponsoring department will send you a link to the ISD website. You should complete your information online and then send the required documents to your department along with a copy of your DS-2019(s), passport(s), and I-94 document(s).

After receiving the necessary paperwork from your department, the OISS will contact your current J-1 program sponsor to arrange the transfer in the Student & Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS).

Once your J-1 program has been transferred, you should check in with the OISS as soon as possible; check-in must be completed no later than 15 days after the transfer date. Check the Scholar Advising Hours and Locations page for specifics.

Changing Status to J-1

If you are in the U.S. and would like to change status to J-1 to start a program at Washington University in St. Louis, your sponsoring department should contact an international scholar advisor at the OISS to talk about your eligibility and the procedure to change status. It is important to note that a J-2 of a Research Scholar or Professor, or a J-1 changing status, may be limited based on the 12- and/or 24-month bars.