Because H-1B status is employer-specific, Washington University in St. Louis will need to file a new H-1B in order for you to work at the university. Your hiring department will notify you of the documents you need to provide for Washington University’s H-1B application. You should inform your scholar advisor at the OISS of any plans you may have to travel internationally during the processing of the H-1B application.

In order to use the portability provision, you must keep working for your current employer until Washington University has submitted the H-1B application to USCIS. The portability provision allows you to begin working at Washington University on the requested H-1B start date if, by that time, WashU has received a receipt notice from USCIS. It typically takes one to two weeks after submission of the H-1B application to receive a receipt notice from USCIS.